PLASTICS & SUSTAINABILITY CHECKLIST
Do the check list before each club activity. Importantly the checklist is: “where practical” or “as best we can” or “improving our practices”. It is not about absolute perfection and making your activities impossible. A 30% or 70% reduction in waste is great and of course regular check listing affirms the actions you already have in place.
1 – Purchase/sell products with the least possible plastic packaging and where practical avoid selling bottled water.
2 – Prefer non-plastic drinking straws, cutlery, plates and non-polystyrene/Styrofoam containers.
3 – Avoid balloons and where reasonable other plastic items for decorations.
4 – Encourage members to bring refillable water bottles and reusable coffee cups.
5 – After the activity remove as much of yours and other’s plastics from the area. Recycle as much as possible.
Here are some other items you may also wish to consider:
- limit the amount of paper used in meetings and conferences.
- have water in jugs and reusable cups in meetings and conferences.
- have electronic rather than paper newsletters.
- use public transport where practical.
- carpool when travelling to activities.
- take all reasonable steps to recycle waste.
- compost food waste.
- when travelling prefer hotels listed on Sustainable Social – it’s early days for us so encourage them to list.
- use LEDs for lighting.
- use solar power OR purchase only 100% renewable electricity.
- add general posts, like you would to Facebook, on your Sustainable Social page then click the share buttons to Facebook and/or Twitter.
- volunteer for Sustainable Social.
- perhaps a small fundraiser for Its Time Foundation School Solar Many Rotary clubs have supported this international project (Sustainable Social is an initiate of Its Time Foundation)
RETURN TO ROTARY PAGE